When it comes to choosing the right care home, the first thing to decide is whether a nursing or residential home is required. A residential home is a safe place where 24 hour care and support is provided. A nursing home is very like a residential care home, the main difference is there are always trained nurses on duty there, so more suitable for those who have a medical condition and need treatment or have been told they have nursing needs.
Below the two types of care homes are described for you coupled with answers to a few of the more frequently asked questions on this topic, to help clarify your next right step on your care journey.
- There will usually be an option for long or short-term care
- Nurses and carers provide 24 hour support here
- An individual healthcare plan will be designed for each resident
- Specialised care is provided for conditions and life events including: Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, Dementia, postoperative care and strokes
- Social activities will be provided to an appropriate level
- The care is tailored around the individual’s care needs
- Residents are encouraged and supported to be independent
- Social activities are provided but not compulsory
- Care is provided as needed with regards to taking medication, bathing and meal times
Are there other care alternatives that may suit better?
There are a few other options you may wish to consider before deciding on moving into a care home. The alternatives options below will largely be dependant on your individual level of need.
- Arrange care within your own home be it with a professional carer or a loved one
- Adapt your home to meet your needs
- Arrange for a care needs assessment to be taken, with a social care professional. They will be able to clarify exactly what you require but also what costs may be covered by your local authority
- Moving into sheltered housing, which enables you to live independently with available on-site support
How do I find a suitable care home for my needs, in my desired location?
If you are looking for care, Care Sourcer offers a free searchable directory of local care homes. If you need care urgently, we also have a team of care experts who are available by telephone to help guide you through the process.
Another useful source:
The Age UK website provide a very thorough and useful care home checklist of elements to check and factor in.